Definition of Society
(noun) A large group of interacting people in a defined territory, sharing a common culture.
Types of Society
Pronunciation Usage Guide
- American English – /suh-sIE-uh-tee/
- British English – /suh-sIE-uh-tee/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /səˈsaɪədi/
- British English – /səˈsʌɪəti/
- “A social fact is every way of acting, whether fixed or not, which is capable of exercising an external constraint on the individual; or, which is general throughout a given society, whilst having an existence of its own, independent of its individual manifestations” (Durkheim  2004:50).
- “Each of us is a social being. We are born into a social environment; we fully develop in to human beings in a social environment; and we live our lives in a social environment. What we think, how we feel, and what we say and do