WordReference Random House Learner’s Dictionary of American English © 2020
gov•ern•ment /ˈgʌvɚnmənt, -ɚmənt/USA pronunciation
- Government[uncountable] the political system by which direction and control over the actions of the members or citizens of a community, society, state, etc., is exercised; the direction of the affairs of a state, community, etc.
- Government[countable; usually singular;
the + ~] the governing body of persons in a state, community, etc. or a branch of this body.
- Government[countable] (in some parliamentary systems, as that of the United Kingdom)
- the particular group of persons forming the cabinet at any given time:The Prime Minister has formed a new government.
- the parliament along with the cabinet.
- [uncountable] direction;
gov•ern•men•tal /ˌgʌvɚnˈmɛntəl, ˌgʌvɚ-/USA pronunciation adj.
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of